Welcome to DSMPurity.net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Gold Digger (AKA Rust Bucket) - 96 Talon TSI AWD

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationParadise, Newfoundland Canada
Thanks!

Been out at my parents place for the past couple of days helping my Dad bust up a concrete wall with a Jack Hammer. Between that I've been doing some wrenching on the Talon.
Easiest mod ever, though I'll likely change it because I want to overhaul the cooling system, 12" fan on the rad.
Posted Image

From there I pulled off my Chinese O2 dump, took the grinder to it and then tacked the pipe back on to mock up my Tial wastegate. I'm thinking about buying some schedule 10 for this so it's stronger. My neighbour will be TIG welding it for me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I dropped the fenders so I could spary some rocker gaurd in the wheel wells, sadly I rain out of it before finishing the passenger side. The suspension could use a coat of paint too.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pulled out the battery tray and cruise control.
Posted Image

Plus the side mount IC.
Posted Image

I'm going to pull the IM and Exhaust manifolds tomorrow. I'm either going to repair the Chinese exhaust manifold or replace it with a Forced Performance one (likely the latter).

Why always on jack stands? Because race car.
Posted Image

Tank

Tank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts
I am wanting to get some slim fans when I upgrade to an alum radiator. I would also like to mount them on the front side for a steath install. What kind of fan are you running? Puller? What brand/CFM Rating?

Also sexy valve cover. I am planning on a similar shade of purple. Maybe a bit dark. Allready shaving it too. Just slow going with a dremel. Thinking of getting some new discs for the angle grinder. Its eating the dremel disks up at a rate of 1-2 per letter.

Very sexy project though. Future ROTM material maybe? All that rust sucks, but glad to see you are killing it.
92 Talon AWD Auto
2g Head | 2g Turbo Manifold | 16g | 2g o2 housing | 2g 7bolt w/ Evo IX Rods & Pistons |
PR Downpipe | PR Fmic | Knockoff Type S | Custom Intake | Hacked 1g Maf | Rebuilt Throttle Body |
M/T Ecu/Injectors/FPR | Custom 3" Catback | AEM WB o2 | Glowshift Boost Gauge |
93 240sx Fastback
Jackstand balla. | Mini H1 Projector Retro | .020 Overbore | Fully Rebuilt KA24DE |
| PAIV Delete | EGR Delete | 4-2-1 Long Tube Header | Custom Exhaust

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Thanks for the kind words Tank.

The fan is just an off brand one I got from RTM Racing; here's a link: https://www.rtmracin...&cat=503&page=1 It's compariable to the Misimoto one. I've got a buddy running one with no complaints. The fan is reversible so it can be wired as a pusher or puller.
I actually want to switch to a Scirocco rad (Afco 80107N) as it will allow me to tuck the rad under the rad support so I will likely have to run smaller fans.

As for the VC, I had a friend shave it for me, it was done with a flap disk on a grinder if I remember right. I'm going to change it out with another shaved VC but with one will have bungs for a catch can. I also want the color to be closer to my Tial wastegate.

Tank

Tank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts
I was thinking of doing all my engine accents tial purple. But I would really like to get an OTS(Off the shelf) Color so if I decide to paint something else in the future I can get it spot on. I suppose friday I will grab a few discs for the angle grinder. I was going to grind down all the letters/lines and then finish it with a sander.

Allways glad to see another Talon guy's project!
92 Talon AWD Auto
2g Head | 2g Turbo Manifold | 16g | 2g o2 housing | 2g 7bolt w/ Evo IX Rods & Pistons |
PR Downpipe | PR Fmic | Knockoff Type S | Custom Intake | Hacked 1g Maf | Rebuilt Throttle Body |
M/T Ecu/Injectors/FPR | Custom 3" Catback | AEM WB o2 | Glowshift Boost Gauge |
93 240sx Fastback
Jackstand balla. | Mini H1 Projector Retro | .020 Overbore | Fully Rebuilt KA24DE |
| PAIV Delete | EGR Delete | 4-2-1 Long Tube Header | Custom Exhaust

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Flap discs for the grinder are my recommendation, they are like sand paper and not as aggressive as a full on grinding disc. I know some powder coaters out there have matched the Tial purple pretty damn close (if not dead on) so you could try that route, it's my plan when I redo my new VC anyhow.
Thanks again.

Did some more work I'm back in town now but I'm gonna try and get out in a few weeks to tackle more.
Pulled the manifold and turbo. The 14B is going (anyone want it?) and I've got to inspect the manifold for leaks/cracked welds (yay for Chinese junk).
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also pulled the ABS pump out since I'm redoing the lines (ABS delete with a non ABS prop valve), my Electro Hydraulic Power Steering will be mounted in this corner now. I recently discovered that the MR2 and 2G DSM use the same VSS pulse so I can transfer the entire system into my car (ECU, Steering sensor in the column and relay) so this will make things much easier. I'm not sure if I'll use the stock res fromt he Toyota system or have something made instead. The res will be in the bay and the pump in the wheel well.
Posted Image

My super cheap Antenna delete (damn thing never worked worth a crap anyways), I've actually got Honda parts on my car as it came from an Integra Type R.
Posted Image

Lastly, I started labeling all the engine bay connectors and removing the OEM loom on the harness so I can clean it up and tuck it. You'll also see the plate I made to block the exhaust ports (not tightened down in the picture though).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Demon

The Demon

Demonic Powers Growing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
beautiful build man, just beautiful. I'm gonna have to get you out here to help work on my car just from looking at everything that you have done to yours!:thumbsup:

- The Demon

97 Talon ESi - RIP(Build Thread)

LUNARFX

LUNARFX

December 2012 DSM Purity Ride of the Month Winner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationThe Cape
Love the antenna delete! What did you use? Mine is a sinkstop from Lowe's color matched to Monarch Green Pearl, and still looks great after 5 years worth of being on there!
Posted Image

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Erine, it's an Antenna plug from an Integra Type R. I just went into my local Honda dealer and gave them the part number.
If someone really wants I can dig through my receipts to find the part number.

Boostf3d_TSi

Boostf3d_TSi

Der Canadian ehh

• DSMP Platinum Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationRacine, WI
Gettin busy bro! Nice job.

P.S. Your old tial wg setup works great... :p lol
Trevor -
- 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - The Red Sled Pt. 2
- 1990 Eagle talon TSi AWD Black Cherry - "That 70's Talon" - RIP -
- 2005 Dodge Ram Cummins 2500

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
LOL, I should have never sold the Tial set up, ah well.

Boostf3d_TSi

Boostf3d_TSi

Der Canadian ehh

• PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationRacine, WI
:)

Post up of your interior progress!!!
Trevor -

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
I haven't taken many pictures but here's the rear trunk panels done.
Posted Image

I was hoping to have all the rear interior and hatch pieces done so I could install it this weekend but that won't be happening now. I'll install what's finished though.

I primed and block sanded my bumper.
Posted Image

I also did the same with my EDM mirrors and started painting them, one more coat and I'll start to clear them.
Posted Image

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Rear interior is in, sort of. The panels don't fit 100% with my new aluminum floor plus the rear panel will not fit at all, going to have to trim it. the other panels, well I'll screw around with them when it's closer to being on the road again.

Today I pulled out my engine harness, tomorrow I'll pull the dash and get the chassis harness out.

Boostf3d_TSi

Boostf3d_TSi

Der Canadian ehh

• PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationRacine, WI
Just so you know you're doing my car next, lol. The black interior looks awesome though.
Trevor -

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Thanks man!

I've got both the forward chassis harness and engine harness here at home, I need to go through and label all the plugs I know and figure out the ones I don't know.
I've got pictures to post but I've drank a bottle of wine and much rather go to bed LOL

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
I started by dying the main hatch panel.
Posted Image

I also washed all the other pieces off and let them dry.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Before I put everything back in I wanted to clean up the floors, sadly my small shop vac was at home so I couldn't do the greatest job, before I do the final assembly I'll have to bring it out.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I then put the rear panels in but hit a small snag, the center trunk panel needs some trimming to sit flush with the aluminum floor. The other pieces may need to be trimmed too. I'll fix this at a later date.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I then moved on to pulling my engine and front chassis harnesses from the car. This was actually pretty easy, I labelled everything I knew but some things will need to be researched before any work starts. Once I have everything labelled I can make a plan of attack.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Chassis harness.
Posted Image

No wiring.
Posted Image

Finally I got the bumper painted but ran out of time for clear coat, doesn't look half bad for a rattle can job though.
Posted Image

LUNARFX

LUNARFX

December 2012 DSM Purity Ride of the Month Winner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationThe Cape
Lovin' the interior treatments as usual! Keep up the good work man!
Posted Image

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Thanks Ern-dawg!
I'm starting to put together a plan for my wiring harness, I've got some things I want to add so I need to plan out how they will be wired ahead of time.

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Over the past couple of days I removed all the loom and electrical tape from the OEM harness. This is a super messy job, went through a couple pairs of nitrile gloves.

First day, I got up to the DRL/High beam relay bracket done (that's what those relay rust things are). I'll likely be doing away with the bracket as it's pretty pointless and HUGE to mount two little things. I'm also looking into rewiring my DRLs.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Day 2, I got all the way up to the fuse box. You'll also see the pile of loom and tape that's come off so far.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Day 3 (today), I started by removing the bracket from the fuse box and then removing the bottom from it.
Posted Image

From there I finished up the forward chassis/fuse box harness.
Posted Image

Then I turned my attention to the engine harness, this one went by pretty quick in comparison. It's 95% done, I left the loom on somethings for now.
Posted Image

Pile of garbage.
Posted Image

Over the weekend I'm going to depin and remove the wires I no longer need. The list is:
Everything AC related.
Everything ABS related
Cruise Control
Fuel Pressure Solenoid
EGR Control Solenoid
Brake fluid level switch
Theft Alarm Horn
EVAP Solenoid
Front and rear O2 Sensors (I have a wideband and via ECM Link I can simulate narrow band functions)
Fog Lights
Oil Pressure Gauge (dash one, replaced by an aftermarket)
Hood Switch
MAF connector (leave the wires needed for IAT sensor for Speed Density)
Fuel Pump Check Connector
Engine Speed Detection Connector
Ignition Timing Check Connector

I'm also going to order the Deutsch HDT-48-00 crimper and some DT series connectors to start working on the harness itself. I'll be using a 12 pin connector to make a Fuel Injector harness, another connector will replace the wiper motor one, one of the fuse box (will be mounted where the passenger air bag was) and another to mount into the firewall.

Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Just made a big order wire Wirecare.com;
Deustsch Connectors and Crimpers
Flexo F6 Braided Sleeving
Various sizes of 2:1 heat shrink
Various sizes of 3:1 adhesive walled heat shrink
Hot Knife!

After I come home from work I'm going to order a new soldering station.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users